Hernandez, Kevin

Hernandez, Kevin

by kevin Hernandez -
Number of replies: 2
My experience with distant learning during the shelter-in-place order was a bit of a struggle at first. My 6 mild/mod students and 1 severe student are from different counties (Mariposa,Madera,Fresno and Clovis). After surveying guardians only 1 student was able to get internet/computer access at home, and I assigned him to the program Edgenuity. However he would refuse to use the website. I did have to transition him to mailed packets/textbooks like I did with my 6 other students. The students were much more comfortable and familiar with the textbook pencil and paper method. 
Looking forward to this next year, because I will try to integrate more technology into the classroom. 
In reply to kevin Hernandez

Re: Hernandez, Kevin

by Lizett Andrade -

Hi Kevin,

Wow, I can see how this would be a real struggle, especially having 7 students in 7 different counties. It is great you were able to come to a compromise and were able to efficiently provide school work that they could do at their own pace. 

I hope I can intern this year and have my own classroom this Fall.  Thanks for sharing.

In reply to kevin Hernandez

Re: Hernandez, Kevin

by G H -

Hello, you right, the hardest part during the stay-home time was the lack of technological devices at children's homes and the access to the internet. The school I was working with had to send the packets by certificate mails because some arents had no phone, no computer, no internet. It is fantastic that you were able to help each one of your students. I think too that kids work better with "the textbook pencil and paper method." 

Maria Hernandez