Downing, Sonja

Downing, Sonja

by Sonja Downing -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

I really liked the quizzizz and pear deck programs that were introduced to us on Tuesday both caught my attention for use in k-12 classes, they could both potentially be implemented in my classes. What caught my attention about quizzizz was the competitive nature of the game, if you were not quick enough with your response you received fewer points and then at the end you saw your ranking. I think that it can be turned into a teachable moment in that whether you win or lose knowing how to cope with losses is a "Grit" life skill drawing from Angela Duckworth's work and subsequent book titled "GRIT". I think that I could definitely use this with my adult classes.

I liked Pear Deck for the interactive features as it gives students the option to interact beyond a chat room especially with on-line learning. I really like the easy sign on with the single code, no emails and logins. The downside for me is that at the moment I am only scheduled to teach adults in the Fall 2020 semester soo I don't think that it will work in this instance.

I hope everyone has a great night!

Sonja

In reply to Sonja Downing

Re: Downing, Sonja

by kevin Hernandez -

Hello Sonja, I was a little worried about the timing feature that gives students more points for faster responses, because it may set off students who do not respond quick enough. But you do make up a good point about how it its a teachable moment for students learn how to cope with losing, and how to do so properly.

In reply to Sonja Downing

Re: Downing, Sonja

by Coach Aba -

Hey Sonja, 

I love how you tie in Grit to loosing in Quizzizz. It strikes me as a valuable teaching moment, while at the same time making me laugh. lol

I think you should blatantly talk about Grit when you play this game with your students, because many people aren't familiar with Grit, nor do I remember learning much about it as a student. 

I think I first heard of Grit in my late 20's when I read a book about the 7 most successful qualities, none of which were taught in school, directly at least. Grit was one of them. 

-Heather