Hernandez, Kevin

Hernandez, Kevin

by kevin Hernandez -
Number of replies: 3

Both Kahoot and Quizziz caught my eye. I feel like I would have to get to know my next caseload of students before I decide which one I would pick. I've had highly self-conscious students who would "blow out" if they felt like they weren't answering correctly/quickly/consistently, so I wouldn't want to display names that are placed low on the scoreboard. I've also worked with students who benefited well from the positive praise, so that would definitely help if they could see their name on the screens top 5 like in kahoot. 

I definitely will look into MCOEs portal. It really is a wormhole of resources.

In reply to kevin Hernandez

Re: Hernandez, Kevin

by Lizett Andrade -

Hi Kevin, really great points. Knowing how your students will react to this type of testing or competitiveness is important to make this a successful part of your lesson plan. Thanks for bringing up those good points.

In reply to kevin Hernandez

by Dana Jensen -

Hello Kevin,

I work in a 7th-grade SDC class and many of the students tend to have self-esteem issues and like you, I want to respect their feelings. Therein lies the advantage of Kahoot. Students can create their own user name and be anonymous. However, this can also be a problem. Let me explain, last year, we had a student that would continuously choose a name that referred to a part of the male anatomy. We blocked him of course, but only after playing for 15 minutes and a female student asked us what's a "LongDong?" We were both so naive that we didn't know what it meant until I Googled it! Anyway, Kahoot is lots of fun, and the students requested it for quizzes and liked it with the optional music. I hope I wasn't too explicit. Take care.

In reply to Dana Jensen

by G H -

Hi Kevin,

Last year I started to work with special education kids in a Junior High, I also have to support teachers in general education classes. I used to hear many unknown words from students who like to get their classmates' attention. I understand that it is an inadequate word or used in the wrong context because of the students' attitude or body language rather than the meaning. Teenagers are the most interesting kids to play and to work with in class settings. It is important how you engaged them in educational games like Kahoot! to build educational and emotional learning. When students feel confident in the classroom, they can understand better.

Hernandez, Maria