Downing, Sonja

Downing, Sonja

by Sonja Downing -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

My experience with distance learning during this stay in place order was actually quite easy as I preemptively took a course on how to teach on Canvas that was sponsored by an employer called CMOIT short for Certified Master Online Instructor Training. Since that training, I have been placing all my course content in the Canvas course shell and it has done several things for not only myself but for my students. It makes all course materials accessible 24/7 and if you have a student homesick or taking care of one of their children then they had the same access to the same information as if they had actually been to the lecture. For me, I stopped having to carry around massive amounts of student work to grade and could simply just pull out my iPhone and grade from the app.

When this pandemic happened and we had to switch from in-person to fully online in a matter of days and out of 21 students in one of my classes I only lost two in the last few weeks of the class due to personal reasons. All in all, I felt pretty successful and then I gave them the end of course survey and ......

I was 100% correct all the students who completed the survey stated that my class was the simplest in making the transition!

When it comes to returning back to an in-person classroom in the Fall I am not terribly worried and yet I am cautiously optimistic! I definitely will be educating students about good hand hygiene and social distancing.  If I teach on-line that will be fine too, as I am well prepared and willing to make lots of mistakes and teachable moments.

In reply to Sonja Downing

Re: Distance Learning "Stay In Place"

by Garry Harris -

Putting your lessons on Canvas is very smart. What grade do you teach? Does many of your students log on to canvas while not in class?  

Teaching about hygiene and social distancing will be good for us all!!! 

In reply to Garry Harris

Re: Distance Learning "Stay In Place"

by Sonja Downing -

Hi,

Thank you for responding to my post! I teach adults well to be fair the youngest student was 12 and the oldest 70ies. I'm an adjunct (fancy word for p/t) faculty at Merced Community College. All of my students log on outside of the classroom time to refresh on lectures or instructions for their assignments.

Have a great day!

In reply to Sonja Downing

Re: Downing, Sonja

by Coach Aba -

Wow, Sonja you were one step ahead of the game! Kudos to you :) 

It makes a lot of sense to have that online back up for the students that miss class. 

I love what you said about willing to make mistakes and teachable moments. Thanks for that!

-Heather