Heather

Heather

by Coach Aba -
Number of replies: 2

I enjoyed the little bit of distance learning that I was assigned with my job as Behavior Technician for Santa Cruz City Schools when we went on Shelter In Place. Since I work more with Social and Emotional Learning than with academics, my colleague and I held weekly Zoom meetings in the primary grades called 'Lunch Bunch.' We would just chat with the students and have themed conversations. It was an opportunity for some of the at-risk students to stay connected with their peers and the school. 

We also filmed drawings that the kids were entered into. The videos were uploaded onto Youtube and then the teachers put the link on their Google Classroom. 

As for returning this fall, I'm open to whatever the situation may call for. I am happy to be learning new tech skills so I can be more equipped to work with distance learning. I hope it will be at least a hybrid format, I think that it will be. Most people want to go back to school, however there will probably be adjustments to follow new social distancing regulations. 

Thanks for reading :)

In reply to Coach Aba

Re: Heather

by Angelica Del Rio -

I love the "Lunch Bunch" idea. I use to do lunch bunches in class and I wished I would have thought about doing it through distance learning. We did have something on Fridays where all students would log on to see each other and socialize. 

In reply to Coach Aba

Re: Heather

by Dana Jensen -

Hello Heather,

Reading your post made me smile. SEL is just as important as regular academics, especially for SPED students. It's difficult for students to be successful if they cannot establish and maintain relationships with peers and regulate their emotions. You do difficult and very important work, thank you.